Tuesday, September 22, 2015

A Man Named Dave By Dave Pelzer

Good Afternoon,

Last night I spent a bunch of time planning some blog posts and in my book of all things blog I came across a note that I had made to talk about this book and somehow I forgot, big surprise. I haven't reviewed many books here lately although I do read a lot, for awhile I was reviewing so many that I thought everyone must be getting tired of it so I stopped.

I am 12 books away from my goal of reading 50 books this year and I feel really good about it, taking part in Good Reads book challenge is something I definitely plan on doing next year as well.

Anyways into the book! A Man Named Dave, by Dave Pelzer. This is actually the last book in a series of books about a terrible mother and the sons that endured her horrific abuse for years of their lives. The series begins with A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer, The Lost Boy by Dave Pelzer as well as A Brothers Journey by Richard Pelzer. This is the final book in the series by Dave Pelzer and although the other books were hard to read, and extremely well written this one really stuck with me.




I have to say first and foremost that this man truly is amazing, to endure the things that he endured and then have the courage to put it all out there in hopes of helping someone else. I believe the first books were cathartic for him, telling his horrific story and clearing his conscience in a way.. he really struggled with why his mother treated him the way she did and what he could have done to prevent it. This book however was coming to terms with the reality that was his childhood, how it affected him as an adult in his everyday life and relationships and how he had to forgive to move on. 

I cant even begin to imagine how he came to terms with forgiving the women who almost killed him, his very own mother. I really think he got to a point where he truly believed he exhausted all options in getting answers from his mother, he learned more about her and her upbringing and not that it excused her behavior but I think it allowed him to understand that although a large part of this was mental illness a big part was also a bad pattern of learned behavior. 

Its sad to think that back then things were so different, that child abuse wasn't as acknowledged and the hands of teachers and other adults who were well aware of the situations were tied. To know that a child is suffering at the hands of a parent and not be able to say anything, to make it go anywhere is a horrific thought. 

This book isn't about the abuse though, its about overcoming it and learning from it. Its about allowing yourself to be vulnerable and to get the answers you need no matter what the cost. Its about being embracing your self worth and knowing what it is. 

Dave Pelzer took the horrific experiences of his childhood, made himself a hardworking and admiral person but most of all he made himself an amazing father. He learned from his childhood and didn't continue the pattern and become it. He worked hard, he hit low lows and he absolutely deserved the highs. 

This book is truly inspirational and I am all the better for reading it. I would highly recommend that if you get a chance you read it too! 

I hope you are all having a great day! Thank you as always for stopping by! 


 photo Signature_zps30f5eb11.png

No comments:

Post a Comment