Monday, June 1, 2015

In Her Shoes By Jennifer Weiner: A Book Review

Good Morning,

Yes another book review, I told you to expect a lot of them.. as you can tell I go through phases with books and sometimes I review them and sometimes I don't. Right now my life is lacking content therefore the blog is lacking content and so book reviews it is! Sorry if its not you're thing, I promise to change it up as much as I can!

In the meantime although I really don't know what to say about this book I thought I would stop by and share as much as I could.

In Her Shoes By Jennifer Weiner



First off let me just say that I had no idea until today that this was actually made into a movie in 2005 with Cameron Diaz playing the roll of Maggie! I honestly cant say I have ever heard of it, having said that though I don't remember buying the book so maybe when I did I was thinking I would enjoy the book more than the movie? The movie didn't get terrible reviews, so I guess that is something. I may have to watch the movie to further my opinion because when I finished the book and decided I was probably going to review it (for blog content and all) I had no idea what I was going to say. 

This is the synopsis that you can find HERE on www.goodreads.com:

Rose Feller is thirty; a successful lawyer with high hopes of a relationship with Jim, Mr Not-Quite-Right, a senior partner in her firm. The last thing she needs is her messed-up, only occasionally employed sister Maggie moving in: drinking, smoking, stealing her money - and her shoes - and spoiling her chance of romance. If only Maggie would grow up and settle down with a nice guy and a steady job. Maggie is drop dead gorgeous and irresistible to men. She's going to make it big as a TV presenter, or a singer...or an actress. All she needs is a lucky break. What she doesn't need is her uptight sister Rose interfering in her life. If only Rose would lighten-up, have some fun - and learn how to use a pair of tweezers. Rose and Maggie think they have nothing in common but a childhood tragedy, shared DNA and the same size feet, but they are about to find out that they're more alike than they'd ever believe.

I'm not sure the end of the synopsis really depicts the book accurately, after reading it I don't know what exactly they find out that leads them to believe they are "more alike than they'd ever believe". Reading the book start to finish I think you would be wondering if they were actually related because they are polar opposites, which I suppose isn't so uncommon for siblings. But as the book goes on nothing that took place changed my opinion about that. 

As you read you learn more about the sisters as individuals and how a hard childhood brought them together in an odd way but I wouldn't say necessarily made them close. They were essentially each others ally because they had no one else. Losing their mother at a young age changed their family dynamic greatly and having very few answers surrounding their mother as a whole or her death left them with a lot of questions, a lot of mystery in their life. 

I enjoyed the book, it felt long while I was reading it and for someone who is not a reader that can be a complete turn off. You never want to feel as though a book is dragging on and although I appreciated the story I really felt that way. 

I cant say I have a real opinion about the book, I definitely wouldn't read it again that's for sure although as I said I may just watch the movie for kicks. I gave it an 2 star rating because when I was done I felt like I really didn't have anything to say about it (although maybe I proved myself wrong, this post is longer than the two lines I expected). The overall rating on Goodreads is mixed and again books are interpretive so just because I didn't like something doesn't mean you wont! 

I will say this is not a book that I will miss or wonder about the characters now that I am done! Moving on to bigger and hopefully better books friends!

Thank you as always for stopping in! And again please feel free to share what you are reading these days as I would absolutely love to know! 


 photo Signature_zps30f5eb11.png

No comments:

Post a Comment