Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Gone Girl By Gillian Flynn: A Review

*** DISCLAIMER: IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THIS BOOK OR SEEN THE MOVIE BUT HAVE THE INTENTION TO THERE ARE SPOILERS SO PLEASE COME BACK LATER WHEN YOU HAVE INDEED READ OR WATCHED THE MOVIE!! THANK YOU!!!***


Isn't this book all the rage? I mean lets be honest everyone and their mother is talking about the book and movie and therefore I had to read it.. I had to! Below is the excerpt from Goodreads.com about the book so you have a little background before we start chatting, or rather I start chatting.. 

"On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn't doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife's head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media--as well as Amy's fiercely doting parents--the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he's definitely bitter--but is he really a killer? 
As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn't do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?"


I'm not going to lie I didn't know what this book would be like when I started reading it, honestly its not necessarily my go to genre but with all the talk going on I really wanted to read it. When I first started I kind of thought it was slow to get into, they made sure you really got to know the characters which after reading the book I now know was necessary. I do know that part of why I might have thought it was slow to get into is because I had heard so much about twists and sitting on the edge of your seat and I was just waiting for that to happen. 

The book it about 493 pages and 200 pages in I had 3 scenarios in my head to explain what was going on, where Amy had gone. I will say that one of those scenarios was correct but let me tell you it was so much more elaborate than I could have ever imagined! 

I honestly don't even know what to say about this freakin' book! Sunday morning I was half way through it and the entire way to breakfast I talked Jason's ear off about the book and my thoughts even though I knew I was ruining it for him because we are definitely going to see the movie. I couldn't wait to get my hands back on the book and continue reading and see what happened. 

Let me just emphasize to you, this book is TWISTED beyond belief! Its vulgar and let me tell you I am not easily offended and when the book was over I has absolutely decided that I hated all the characters, every single one of them. Yet to be honest, I think I really loved the book. This book kept your attention, in fact it demanded it! There were constant twists and turns, new things popping up, the entire book is evil brilliance. 

This is the first book I have read by Gillian Flynn and I think I would definitely read another. I don't think that my opinion was influenced by the hype by any means, because to be honest it was really mixed. I do believe at the end of this book you will love it or hate it.. or may I just say you may love the entire book and then hate it because of the ending. You know those books that are absolutely fantastic and then you read the last page and keep flipping praying there is something more because there is no way they could have left you hanging like that.. hello Gillian Flynn, what are you trying to do with me? If I would have bought the actual book I probably would have thrown it across the room, my Nook however is a little too costly to replace. The ending was horrific, she went over board introducing the character and making sure you got to know them and their story, the story line was ever so carefully planned and explained and yet the ending was complete bullshit! 

I know, I know I hated the ending and all the characters but I want you to read it.. its true. READ THE BOOK! 

I had thought that if I really loved the book that maybe I wouldn't see the movie because I often am so satisfied by the book and the picture I have in my head I just don't feel the need, however I will see this movie because I really enjoyed the book, Ben Affleck is in it and I love him and maybe there is a slight chance the ending will be better? A girl can hope!

Ben Affleck's character Nick, he makes me sad.. he crappy upbringing, clear self esteem issues and this crazy bitch wife. Don't get me wrong, he's kind of an asshole himself but I feel like its all deep rooted, and I couldn't help but feel bad for him. 

Amy is a whack job, I mean there are really not other words for her.. well there are but I like to keep this blog somewhat appropriate. It scares me to think there are people in this world who are actually like her. 

Read this book, read this book please and then tell me what you think!! I will be sure to come back and let you know if the movie leaves me with more clarity and what I thought of that! 




 photo Signature_zps30f5eb11.png

No comments:

Post a Comment