Monday, May 6, 2013

Mmm Mmm Good!

Its not very often that I share recipes, although I might start now that I have so much time on my hands and am trying new ones left right and center!

The search for this recipe came from my desire to recreate the best creamy chicken and wild rice soup I have ever had in my life! They have this restaurant in the States and I'm not sure all where it exists but I believe they have one in Minnesota and Jason and I have eaten at the one in Wisconsin (once years ago) and in North Dakota! Their food is amazing and on our last trip there I tried their chicken and wild rice soup and it was incredible!

http://grizzlysgrill.com/waite-park-mn/

There is the link to restaurant if you care to check it out.

Anyways I couldn't find the recipe anywhere, I looked all over the Internet and Pinterest and nothing.. so I just searched any ol' recipe for chicken and wild rice soup and narrowed it down to the one I thought sounded best.. and let me tell you... I was right!




Ingredients

2
Tablespoons butter
½
small onion or 1 large shallot, chopped
2
celery stalks, chopped
2
small carrots, chopped
salt & pepper
2
garlic cloves, minced
½
teaspoon dried thyme
8
cups chicken broth
2
chicken breasts, cut in half
¾
cup wild/brown rice blend
1
cup milk
¼
cup flour


Directions

Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots, season with salt & pepper, then saute until tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and thyme then saute for 1 more minute.
Add chicken broth then increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Add chicken breast halves and cook until no longer pink in the center, about 10 minutes, then remove to a plate and set aside. Shred when cool enough to handle. Add wild/brown rice blend to the pot then place a lid on top, turn heat down to medium-low and simmer for 40-50 minutes or until rice is tender.
In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup milk with flour until smooth then add remaining milk. Slowly drizzle into soup while stirring. Add chicken then simmer soup for 10 more minutes uncovered and serve.


No I made a few adjustments, I added more chicken and a little more rice! I also added 2 of those home style chicken stock jelly cube things you can buy at the grocery store! Those things are so full of flavor! Overall I thought it turned out extremely well and Jason has been eating it for 3 days so I would say that is a good sign!

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment